We had such a great time last year, we want to do it again. Please take a moment to let us know what day works best for you in August. Visit our Moodle survey and let us know which days work for you. You don’t need to register to enter your opinion, just click on the link and “cast your vote.”
Over 200 people turned out for today’s first annual join picnic for the classes of ’74-79 (including a few from neighboring classes). It started out a bit foggy, but soon the day turned sunny. The food tables were overflowing, and conversations were great.
Please add comments below sharing your experiences at the picnic.
Our tentative plan is to hold these annually on the 4th Sunday in August. The planning committee will be confirming the date sometime in the next month or so.
We had a great meeting last night to plan out all the details for the picnic.Our current attendance estimate is 200! We’ll have name-tags and guest books (by year) at a reception table.
Things for everyone to bring
There is picnic table seating for about 100, so everyone is encouraged to bring folding chairs, shade (umbrellas, “Easy-Ups”), blankets, etc. Also bring:
- something to eat and drink (we’ll have hot coals and ice)
- plates, cups, eating utensils (we’ll have a few for those who forget, but maybe not enough for everyone) (We encourage you to “be green” and avoid disposables.)
- musical instruments
- sports equipment
- Cell phone reception at the picnic area is spotty. Your phone may not work.
- If you’d like to come up by bus, the AC Transit #67 stops at the Brazilian Building. It leaves Downtown Berkeley BART on the :50 (11:50, 12:50, etc.), and arrives at the Brazilian Building 25 minutes later on the :15 (12:15, 1:15, etc.). It’s about a one-mile hike (0.9 miles). If you’d like a shuttle from the bus, leave a comment below with the bus you will be on and Lee will come pick you up.
The picnic table is Padre picnic area on South Park Drive. The bus is the bus stop at the Brazilian Room.
View BHS ’74-’79 Picnic in a larger map
Below is a list of tasks that need to be done. If you can complete any of them, add a “comment” to the post. Lee will move your name from the comments to the list.
Purchases (you will be reimbursed!)
- Plastic forks (500 box) – Carol?
- Napkins – Carol?
- 12 Table cloths- Carol?
- 3 “BBQ kits” (long handled tongs, spatulas)
- 2 “Charcoal chimney” starters
- Charcoal (6 big bags) – Clifford bought 4
- 8 “Roughneck” 31 gallon storage boxes (sturdier, available at Lowes) or 8 “Roughneck” 54 Gallon Hi-Top (less sturdy, available at Home Depot) (for icing drinks) – Clifford bought 3 x 35 gallon
- 400 lbs ice – Joey
- Folding table from Jenny – Joey
- Easy-Up for reception area – Clifford
- Plastic bags for trash/recycling – Carol?
- 8 Composition books for signing in (and decorating them with BHS colors/yellowjackets?) – Clifford
- Name tags – Lee
- Traffic barriers for unloading area (from Jenny’s) – Joey
- 20 pens – Clifford
Shifts at reception table (2 people):
- 11:30-1:00 –Emily Hall & Dino Tomelden
- 1:00 – 2:30 – Debby Segal & Sally Fuller Panasenko
- 2:30 – 4:00 – Lee Trampleasure & ______
- after that arrivees are on their own 🙂
Hello Fellow BHSer,
Bill Naumann is collecting contact information from anyone who was part of School of the Arts cluster school at BHS. He’s trying to organize a reunion I believe. Please send your contact info to:
18620 Citronia ST
Northridge, CA 91324
I just created a couple of YouTube “Groups” to hold videos from the 70s and 80’s. If you have videos on YouTube, you can add them to the group. The addresses for the groups are:
(pretty easy addresses, yes?)
Feel free to add videos to your class decade.
I created groups for these two decades because I knew of videos for them. If you know of videos from other decades, please start a group for them and I’ll post a link here.
The multi-class reunion for’74-’79 is scheduled for Sunday August 23, 2009 and is now taking reservations/donations. We have Padre Picnic area in Tilden reserved, which includes a large field for sports (don’t forget your glove, nets), lovely areas for musical jams (ditto your instruments), picnic table seating for 120, a huge bar-b-que grill, plenty of parking, and even bathrooms with flush plumbing.
The picnic will be a potluck, so bring something for the grill and a dish to share.
We’re now taking reservations/donations to help cover the costs for the picnic. We’re asking $10 donation, which will help us cover the cost of renting the picnic area, buying ice and coals, plates and utensils, etc. If you can afford more, we welcome additional donations (click the down arrow below for other donation options).
- $10: One person, a couple, or one family. $10 covers you all!
- $20: Covers the basic donation, plus a bit more to help out.
- $50: Covers the basic donation, plus quite a bit more to help out!
While “no one will be turned away at the door,” your donation will not only help us cover the costs, but will also help us to know how many are coming.
We’re all volunteering our time, and if we end up with any excess cash, we’ll donate it to a BHS/BUSD nonprofit agency (we may keep a bit for “seed money” for next year’s picnic–we plan to make this an annual event).
If you prefer to mail in a check, write it out to BHS Class of 1978, and send it to:
Berkeley High Class of 1978
PO Box 3606
Berkeley, CA 94703-0606
This picnic is being organized by several members of the BHS Class of 1978 reunion committee, and we’re open to others joining us. If you can help out, let us know along with your reservation. We’ve been meeting the last Sunday of the month, and our next meeting is scheduled for May 31st, 5:00, at Brennan’s (now 1/2 block from their old location, in the old train station at University and the train tracks).
Any golfers out there? If you’re interested in playing the Tilden course in the morning, leave a comment to this post and maybe we’ll get a couple foursomes. We’ll need someone to coordinate this if folks want to do it.
PS: We’re calling this the ’74-’79 picnic, but all alumni are invited who feel they’ll have a good time with us!
Mark your calendars! The remnants of the Class of 78 30 year reunion committee and friends from nearby classes have organized a summer picnic for classes of ’74 through ’79, plus any other folks who may know people from those classes.
Date: Sunday, August 23, 2009
Time: Noonish until we tire out.
Food: Potluck. But we’ll have a hot coals and a few “starter” items.
Exact details: To be arranged and posted within the next month or so.
We’ll be working out the details soon, but our general idea is that we’ll provide coals and a miscellanous set of starters. We’ll be asking $10 to help cover the reservations, coals, and other starter items (as well as a bit of food so out-of-town folks won’t have to bring anything.
And classes of “74 and ’79, don’t miss your own reunions this summer! Click your class link in the menu on the right. –>