We’ve created a business card type announcement for the picnic to remind people that it’s every third weekend in August. You can download it here..
Updated August 21st, 2010.
We reserved Padre Picnic area (on South Park Drive) in Tilden for Sunday, August 29th, 2010. Padre has ten large picnic tables with seating for about 100, a huge BBQ grill, running water and bathrooms, and a huge grass field.
Everyone who attended Berkeley High in the late ’70’s is invited. Anyone who isn’t in this group but wants to attend is also welcome (perhaps you attended Berkeley schools earlier, but moved for high school, or you graduated in ’74 but have friends who are attending–we figure if you want to come we would like you to attend). Any of our teachers are especially welcome, and you don’t even need to bring any food!
- Start time is noon; we’ll run “officially” until 5:00 (although last year many people stayed much later).
- Group photo is at 3:00, after which we’ll break down into graduation years for people to take smaller group photos. All this should take 15-30 minutes.
- A contribution of $10 is requested, although no one will be turned away for lack of funds. If you with to make a $25 or larger tax deductible donation, bring a check made out to the Berkeley High School Development Group (BHSDG). The basic contribution helps us to pay for the park reservation fee and other incidentals, but we also want to offer an opportunity for people to make donations to BHS.
- At the registration table, we’ll have name tags that includes “Class of____” to help us identify people from our class. We’ll also collect your contact information in case your class’ reunion committee wants access to this information.
- We’ll have hot coals and ice, as well as a some paper plates, utensils and drinks (please save these for people coming from a distances–if you’re local please bring your own).
- People are welcome to either pot-luck or bring their own food. The picnic area has a couple of tables without benches for spreading out food to share–last year these tables were full with plenty of wonderful foods.
- The picnic area has seating for about 100 people, and last year we had over 200 people, so bring extra seating if you can. Many people just got comfortable on the grass–although for some of us this is getting more difficult :-).
- Sun shades may also be helpful if you are sensitive to the sun or heat. Bring one if you have one.
- Cell phone coverage in the park is spotty. Most folks last year found they did not get coverage at the picnic site.
- If you are musically inclined, bring your instrument. Last year we had a great “jam” in the later afternoon.
- Feel free to bring sporting equipment or other toys/games. The weather can be quite hot, or foggy and cold.
- If you’d like to take public transit, the AC Transit route 67 goes to the Brazil Building, the closet to Padre Picnic area. You can catch the 67 at Downtown Berkeley BART, leaving about every 50 minutes. Find the schedule here (make sure it’s showing Sundays).
- It’s about 3/4 of a mile hike from the Brazil Building to the picnic area (see map below). We’ll try to have someone with a car at the bus stop when it arrives (all buses between noon and 3:00), but if you know you are coming, please call Lee Trampleasure at 510-495-7035 before Sunday (remember, cell phone coverage at the picnic area is not very good).
- Driving directions (see map below):
- Coming from Oakland or south, take Claremont Blvd up to Grizzly Peak Blvd. Turn left and drive to South Park drive (will be your second right turn). Drive about 1 mile down South Park to Padre Picnic area. (If you are already on highway 24, you may want to go through the Caldecott Tunnel, exit at the first exit, and follow the directions below.)
- Coming from Highway 24 and the east, take the Fish Ranch Road exit, and climb Fish Ranch Road to Grizzly Peak Blvd. Turn right onto Grizzly, then drive to South Park drive (will be your second right turn). Drive about 1 mile down South Park to Padre Picnic area.
- Coming from Berkeley or the north, you can either:
- Drive up Centennial (behind UC Memorial Stadium) and cross Grizzly Peak Blvd at the top. Continue past the golf course, and turn right on Shasta Road. At the bottom of Shasta, veer right onto Wildcat Canyon Rd, then turn right onto South Park Dr (after the Botanical Gardens). Padre is about one-half mile up South Park.
- Find your way to Spruce and Grizzly (at the reservoir). Take Wildcat Canyon Rd into Tilden, past the Brazil Building and the Botanical Gardens, then turn right onto South Park drive. Padre is about one-half mile up South Park.
Hey, it’s our second time. That makes the event truly “annual.” At our final meeting before this 2010 picnis, the committee decided to hold this event annually on the third Saturday of August each year (if Saturday is not available, we’ll move it to that Sunday).
Are you on Facebook? You can find our event listing on Facebook and see who’s RSVP’d there.
View BHS ’74-’79 Picnic in a larger map, or get detailed driving directions.
Hey! Classmates of 1976 We have had such a great time @ our 10th year, 20th year, and our 30th year Class Reunion in the pass that Next year will be our 35th Class Reunion myself and my Committee Staff : Sandra, Sherry, Gwen,Lucy, Daphane are in the planning stages to plan this Great Event and if you like to join us please do on August 12th, 2010 @ the ‘Z” Bar and Bar 2735 Broadway in Oakland @ 5p.m. we will meeting with the Event planner and the Owner this is just one of the places that we may have our 35th Class Reunion Event if you are interested pls e-mail me at: Michon.D.Johnson @irs.gov and also hope 2 see you at the Picnic at the end of Month.
Let’s have fun with creating something that makes us all feel young at heart! The Cavalcade of Berkeley/Bay “Shining Stars” is pouring in. Each of you are a dazzling piece of our Constellation. Time to warm up the old warhorse body! Gots to get on down! This is “GGggggreat!” news! ~ a la Tony the Tiger Frosted Flakes commercials … remember? Frosted flake…? Do I resemble that remark?
Saturday, July 10, 2010, 6:00 PM – 1:00 AM
The Washington Inn
495 Tenth Street
Price: Free! (Thanks to John Engberk’s underwriting) Bring cash for drinks and other extras.
This event is being largely publicized through Facebook, and over 130 people RSVP’s yes and 191 maybe. You can read more details here: http://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=113960725305528&status=512#!/event.php?eid=355602014154
We had such a great time last year, we want to do it again. Please take a moment to let us know what day works best for you in August. Visit our Moodle survey and let us know which days work for you. You don’t need to register to enter your opinion, just click on the link and “cast your vote.”
We are planning the 40th reunion for the class of 1970. It will be September 11, 2010 from 7:00 – 11:00. It will be at the Sequoyah Country Club, 4550 Heafey Road, Oakland, Ca, 94605.
We are on Facebook under “Berkeley High School (CA), Class of 1970“.
We have also posted the event on Classmates.com
Classmates can also contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re creating an album on Picsaweb.google.com where classes can post photos. More details soon, but here’s a preview from the Class of 1978:
You can find the album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/BHS.Alumni.Berkeley.CA
Over 200 people turned out for today’s first annual join picnic for the classes of ’74-79 (including a few from neighboring classes). It started out a bit foggy, but soon the day turned sunny. The food tables were overflowing, and conversations were great.
Please add comments below sharing your experiences at the picnic.
Our tentative plan is to hold these annually on the 4th Sunday in August. The planning committee will be confirming the date sometime in the next month or so.
We had a great meeting last night to plan out all the details for the picnic.Our current attendance estimate is 200! We’ll have name-tags and guest books (by year) at a reception table.
Things for everyone to bring
There is picnic table seating for about 100, so everyone is encouraged to bring folding chairs, shade (umbrellas, “Easy-Ups”), blankets, etc. Also bring:
- something to eat and drink (we’ll have hot coals and ice)
- plates, cups, eating utensils (we’ll have a few for those who forget, but maybe not enough for everyone) (We encourage you to “be green” and avoid disposables.)
- musical instruments
- sports equipment
- Cell phone reception at the picnic area is spotty. Your phone may not work.
- If you’d like to come up by bus, the AC Transit #67 stops at the Brazilian Building. It leaves Downtown Berkeley BART on the :50 (11:50, 12:50, etc.), and arrives at the Brazilian Building 25 minutes later on the :15 (12:15, 1:15, etc.). It’s about a one-mile hike (0.9 miles). If you’d like a shuttle from the bus, leave a comment below with the bus you will be on and Lee will come pick you up.
The picnic table is Padre picnic area on South Park Drive. The bus is the bus stop at the Brazilian Room.
View BHS ’74-’79 Picnic in a larger map
Below is a list of tasks that need to be done. If you can complete any of them, add a “comment” to the post. Lee will move your name from the comments to the list.
Purchases (you will be reimbursed!)
- Plastic forks (500 box) – Carol?
- Napkins – Carol?
- 12 Table cloths- Carol?
- 3 “BBQ kits” (long handled tongs, spatulas)
- 2 “Charcoal chimney” starters
- Charcoal (6 big bags) – Clifford bought 4
- 8 “Roughneck” 31 gallon storage boxes (sturdier, available at Lowes) or 8 “Roughneck” 54 Gallon Hi-Top (less sturdy, available at Home Depot) (for icing drinks) – Clifford bought 3 x 35 gallon
- 400 lbs ice – Joey
- Folding table from Jenny – Joey
- Easy-Up for reception area – Clifford
- Plastic bags for trash/recycling – Carol?
- 8 Composition books for signing in (and decorating them with BHS colors/yellowjackets?) – Clifford
- Name tags – Lee
- Traffic barriers for unloading area (from Jenny’s) – Joey
- 20 pens – Clifford
Shifts at reception table (2 people):
- 11:30-1:00 –Emily Hall & Dino Tomelden
- 1:00 – 2:30 – Debby Segal & Sally Fuller Panasenko
- 2:30 – 4:00 – Lee Trampleasure & ______
- after that arrivees are on their own 🙂